Coach Code of Practice and Game Conduct for the Western Albemarle Lacrosse Club (WALC)
Must be agreed to by all prospective coaches each year during the registration process
The following code of conduct outlines a philosophy that is paramount to producing a positive experience for young players of any sport. Lacrosse is a sport that belongs to the players. It is a game that offers physical challenges, emotional satisfaction, and lifelong values and experiences for those who play.
Within this context, coaches should prioritize the welfare of their players and dedicate themselves to upholding the highest standards of conduct in support of their players. Sportsmanship and ethical values highlighting respect, fairness, civility, honesty, integrity and accountability are a foundation for the sport.
- Treat all players (including opposing players), coaches, officials, parents, and spectators in a respectful manner;
- Teach and practice good sportsmanship at all times on and off the field;
- Support and encourage the personal and skill development of all players, showing interest, enthusiasm and support for all players;
- Strive at all times to be positive and constructive in their dealing with players, parents and spectators;
- Be a positive role model for all players and parents;
- Adhere to all applicable WALC policies; and
- Report to the WALC Board of Directors any unusual or special circumstances with players or parents with which the coach is unable to deal.
Coaches will not:
- Use threatening, profane or obscene language or gestures at any time during practices or games;
- Enter into an argument with an official as to any decision that has been made or in any way attempt to influence the decision of an official;
- Talk down to players or emotionally or physically denigrate players;
- Make derogatory comments to players, officials, parents or spectators.
- Attend a game or practice under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
A coach ejected from a game shall automatically be suspended from coaching in the next regularly scheduled game (and the Board of Directors of WALC may take additional action as set out below).
Any violation of this Code of Conduct may, at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors of WALC, result in the reprimand of the coach, or the suspension or expulsion of the coach from WALC practices, games and/or events (including post-season and subsequent seasons).